Participants in the civil disobedience aspect of the action are required to attend a mandatory action training and complete legal briefing the evening before the action. The purpose of this training is to build trust among participants, prepare them for various scenarios that could play out during the action, and provide a comprehensive legal briefing.
When: Sunday, October 23rd, 4-9pm
*we will be providing dinner for all participants. Vegan and gluten free options will be available
Where: The Terminus, the University Centre (UCU) at the University of Ottawa on 85 University Private
*we will be outside of room 215, just past the Tim Hortons on the second floor of the UCU
Transit: The University of Ottawa is along the Transitway, a dedicated bus route where many route pass from around town (ex: 8, 85, 86, 95, 96, 97, etc.) . There are two Stops: Laurier stop (North end) and Campus stop (South end).
Parking: There is paid parking at a few spots in and around campus, notably at the corner of Osgoode and King Edward, as well as under the Desmarais building (access from Nicholas street). Free parking is available after 5:30PM on residential streets to the east and on weekends. Be warned that on weekdays there are a lot of students that park there for night classes, so it might require going further away from campus and a bit of walking.
Meeting Point: At 9:00 AM on Monday October 24th — We will meet outside of the University Centre at the University of Ottawa — located at 45 University Private. From there, we will hold an opening rally. After the rally, we will assembled and march together to the action location. From there, the young people risking arrest will proceed into the civil disobedience part of the action. Those who wish not to risk arrest are welcome to participate in the rally and march.
What to Bring and What to Wear to the Action
- Dress for the weather — layer as necessary! We’re recommending back to school attire, so if you have a school sweater, wear it!
- Snacks & water
- A blanket or a sleeping bag that packs tightly (for warmth or sitting on)
- 24hrs of prescription medication (if you need to take medication)
What not to bring to the Action:
- Weapons, drugs, alcohol
- Sticks, sharp objects etc
- If you are participating in the sit-in and have particular physical or other accessibility concerns either for the walk over or the sitting part, let organizers know ahead of time so that we can accommodate your accessibility needs. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org